Thursday 27 October 2011

the pains of having a conservative government...

The financial doom and gloom that currently surrounds all things has been seeping into the academic world long enough that it is beginning to bear it's rotten fruit. Sadly, I think that in the UK we're only at the beginning of a downward spiral that will see the end of many of our universities.

Yesterday, the University of East Anglia announced the closure of it's School of Music, a place that I care about deeply. I studied at the UEA school of music for three years as a masters degree student, it has one of the most open-minded experimental postgraduate music programs currently operating in the UK. This is the place that helped shape my understanding of music, and this is the school that I had hoped to one day return to as a PhD student.